The failure so far of the White House and Congress to reach an agreement on a budget for fiscal year 2020, which began Oct. 1, has broad and potentially dangerous ramifications for the military services, the Army’s top civilian believes.
Speaking Oct. 25 before an audience of reporters and editors who cover the military, Army Secretary Ryan McCarthy said that the Army specifically would be hindered in efforts to bolster readiness and combat capabilities, the Association of the U.S. Army (AUSA) reported.
In all likelihood, AUSA reported, funding at 2019 levels would continue through perhaps the end of fiscal 2020 on Sept. 30, under a continuing resolution.
But McCarthy told the audience that such an eventuality still would hinder delivery to warfighters of new equipment now in their final prototype stages. It also would force the Defense Department to scale down plans for Defender-Europe, a multinational training effort that could involve as many as 20,000 troops, AUSA reported.