Sailors are falling victim to card-cracking scammers and suffering serious financial loss in the process, the Navy Criminal Investigative Service (NCIS) warns. Typical bogus pitches surface on social media, sometimes from purported “friends” who offer to provide “debt relief” grant money. These scammers are seeking to penetrate bank accounts or get victims to send them money directly, NCIS warns. People who feel they are being targeted should:
• Stop corresponding with the suspected scammer.
• Notify their bank or financial institution, and have locks placed on their accounts.
• Change all passwords and take additional security steps.
• Consider obtaining a credit lock through Equifax, Experian, or Transunion.
• Notify commands, the NCIS office and other law enforcement authorities.