Service members would receive a 3.1-percent pay raise on Jan. 1, under the 2020 defense-spending bill the Senate approved June 27 by an 86-8 vote. Other provisions of the $750 billion measure include:
* Reforms aimed at resolving the issues that beset privatized military housing.
* Investments in numerous ships, aircraft and weapons systems.
* Maintaining the nuclear deterrent.
* Establishment of the U.S. Space Force.
* Technological modernization of capabilities, with focuses on artificial intelligence (AI) and hypersonic weapons.
* Fostering better cyber security.