Armed Forces News

Spouses of soldiers who relocate to new bases can get help from Army Emergency Relief (AER) that would offset professional relicensing expenses. Beginning June 5, AER began offering as much as $2,500 to these spouses. The move comes one month after the service announced that it would limit the money it provides for relicensing to $500. The AER money would be available to offset further expenses. Spouses who apply to AER for the money should first know what the certification requirements are in their new homes, and apply for the reimbursement through their command.
Interested soldiers and spouses should apply for the assistance within 180 days of their arrival at new duty stations. They will need to complete a SF1034 (Public Voucher for Purchases and Services Other Than Personal) form, and provide a copy of their PCS orders and copies of their old state licenses or certifications, their new certifications, a marriage license, and proof that they paid applicable fees.

The service and AER made the change after surveys showed a high rate of underemployment for military spouses as a result of moves.