Veterans now have an easier path to careers in the merchant marine. President Trump signed an executive order March 4, which would streamline their application and credentialing processes, to include:
* Certain aspects of former service members’ military training and experience would be applicable to merchant marine credentialing requirements.
* Fees for license evaluation, issuance and examination would be waived when appropriate.
* Whenever possible, service members would not have to pay for Transportation Worker Identification Credentials.
* Service members who have worked at sea would receive certification of such service no later than one month after they are discharged or released from military duty.
* Online support would be enhanced to assist merchant mariner credentialing.
* Assistance would be available through the U.S. Committee on the Marine Transportation System.