Armed Forces News

TRICARE, the military’s managed health-care plan, is urging beneficiaries to include health matters when they plan vacation travel this summer — particularly if they include overseas trips.

Before leaving:

* Pack prescription medications in carry-on luggage.
* Find a network pharmacy at or near the vacation location.
* Review the list of overseas numbers for the Military Health System Nurse Advice Line.
* Look at the list of TRICARE numbers.
* Download TRICARE’s Overseas Contact wallet card.
* Log into milConnect.
* Call 800-538-9552 (TTY/TDD: 866-363-2883.

While traveling:

* Contact the right TRICARE Overseas Program Regional Call Center or Medical Assistance number when in need of help.
* In case of emergency, go to the nearest emergency-care provider or call the Medical Assistance number.

Overseas travelers may have to pay up front for services and file claims upon their return home. They should keep all receipts and file claims where they live — not where they were treated.

Persons admitted to hospitals should call their Overseas Regional Call Center before they leave. Active-duty members who are admitted to a hospital should call their primary care manager or Overseas Regional Call Center before leaving the facility.
TRICARE will cover air evacuations, if when medically necessary, to the closest safe location that can provide the required care.