Veterans who wish to upgrade or change the conditions of their discharge can do so online. The departments of Defense and Veterans Affairs have joined to create a new web-based tool to do so, with the intent of cutting red tape.

It is available at, and on the Military OneSource site at Veterans also can gain access to it through most of the veterans’ and military service organizations that provide help to members.

Veterans who open the web site will be asked to answer some short questions, which would guide them to the next step in the process. It also contains advice that would further facilitate the application process.

“Any veterans who believe their discharge was unjust, erroneous, or warrants an upgrade are encouraged to use this tool and then apply for review,” both VA and the Pentagon stated.

Veterans who were handed bad paper when they left the service because of the Pentagon’s “Don’t ask, don’t tell” policy regarding homosexuals in uniform, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), traumatic brain injury (TBI), matters relating to sexual assault or harassment, or mental health conditions, are specifically being encouraged to try to upgrade their discharges.
The DoD and VA announcement also suggested that veterans contact their services’ discharge review boards, and boards for correction of military records.

The Defense Department also is seeking veterans’ feedback on the web site, and other related polices and practices. The email address is