Expert's View

Active duty time spent in the Armed Forces of the United States can be

added to your civilian service, thus increasing the amount of your


retirement annuity. However, it can only be credited if it was active

service terminated under honorable conditions and was performed before you

retire from your civilian job. The term Armed Forces includes the Army,

Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps and Coast Guard. It also covers service in

the Regular or Reserve Corps of the Public Health Service and as a

commissioned officer of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric



There are two hurdles to clear on the way to having your military service

credited to your civilian account. The first applies only to those who are

receiving military retired pay. When you retire, you won