Expert's View

One nice feature of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act 2009 was that it put $250 into the pockets of Social Security recipients, those receiving supplemental social income, and veterans receiving disability compensation or pensions.


So what about the folks who didn’t fit into any of these categories? If you are one of those who missed out in 2009, how do you get what’s due you in 2010?

When you file your federal income taxes for 2009, you’ll need to complete Schedule M, Making Work Pay and Government Retirement Credits. After you complete the form, take the dollar figure you end up with on line 14 and enter it on the correct line on whichever of the following forms you are using to file your 2009 federal income taxes: line 63 on form 1040, line 40 on the 1040A, and line 60 on the1040NR.

That’s all there is to it.