Deposit for Service as USAR Officer on Active Duty


I currently receive military retired pay based on 20 years of service. For 7 years of the 20 I was a USAR Officer on active duty. On my 8th year of service my status was changed to Regular Army Officer. Can I apply the 7 years USAR service to my FERS retirement if I make the necessary deposit?

Blocked by moderator
Posted by (Questions: 1, Answers: 0)
Asked on September 11, 2017 9:58 pm
Private answer

When you receive military retired pay for active duty, you can make a deposit for the entire period of military service and upon retirement from your civilian position, waive your RMP and combine it with your FERS. In SOME cases that works. And if your RMP pay is due to the reserve component, you can make a deposit for the period of active duty time to add to your FERS and still receive credit for that same period for your RMP (and your Social Security). However, if I am reading your question correctly, you cannot use your reserve time to add to FERS because you are receiving an active duty retired military retirement.

Blocked by moderator
Posted by (Questions: 0, Answers: 351)
Answered on September 12, 2017 12:09 am