How to I make a deposit for “post-1956” military duty?


I recently separated with 17 years active duty and was hired as a civil service employee. How to make a deposit for my “post 1956” military service?

Blocked by moderator
Posted by (Questions: 1, Answers: 0)
Asked on July 31, 2017 9:13 pm
Private answer

You will need to complete an RI-20-97,, and send to your military pay center along with a copy of your DD-214s. DFAS will sent it back with a total of your base military earnings. You will send them to your appropriate HR or payroll office who will calculate total owed. If this is deposit is satisfied within the first 2 years 364 days since first hired, no interest is owed…if not interest is due until the deposit is satisfied in full. Agencies permit you making this deposit via payroll deduction but minimum deduction is agency specific. Obviously you know this will add 17 years of creditable service for retirement purposes once the deposit is complete. HR folks call military deposits NO BRAINERS.

Blocked by moderator
Posted by (Questions: 0, Answers: 353)
Answered on August 1, 2017 2:20 am