Retirement & Financial Planning Report

Image: ingae/

If you are legally separated or in the process of getting an annulment or a divorce you need to be aware of the impact on your federal employment benefits as they apply to both of you.

Even if a court order requires that your ex-spouse be covered by your FEHB enrollment, federal law mandates that the coverage end at midnight of the day your annulment or divorce is final. However, he or she can receive health benefits coverage under the spouse equity provisions, the temporary continuation of coverage (TCC) provision or by converting to an individual policy with your FEHB carrier. For more information on these options, go to


If no one else is covered under your enrollment when the annulment or divorce is final, you can switch to self only. You can also switch to another plan or option. However, if you have additional eligible family members, you can continue to be covered under the self and family option or, if there is only one eligible member, move to self plus one. You have 60 days after the event to make a change. You can do that by completing a Standard Form 2809 and submitting it to your agency personnel office (or OPM is you are a retiree). You can download a copy of that form at

If you are enrolled in the Federal Employees’ Group Life Insurance program and designated your spouse as the one you wanted to receive the proceeds of your policy if you died, you may want to change that now that you are no longer married. To do that, you’ll need to complete a Standard Form 2823. You can download a copy at

If you a current employee you were required by law to provide a survivor annuity for your spouse. The same is true if you were married before you retired (unless your spouse agreed in writing to waive eligibility). In either case, that requirement to provide a survivor annuity ends when your annulment or divorce is final unless the former spouse has been granted a portion of your annuity in the divorce decree. If your annuity hasn’t been apportioned, you’ll need to let your agency know (or OPM if you are a retiree) that you are no longer married. If it has been apportioned, your ex-spouse will have to properly file the paperwork with OPM to preserve his or her rights.

Report: What Happens to Your Federal Employee Benefits in Divorce?

Reviewing Your Official Personnel Folder

Immediate Retirement Under FERS

Immediate Retirement – CSRS & CSRS Offset

FERS Retirement Guide 2022