Retirement & Financial Planning Report

If you are already getting Social Security or Railroad Retirement checks when you turn 65, you will automatically be enrolled in Medicare. Your Medicare card (a red, white and blue card) will automatically be mailed to you about three months before your 65th birthday as part of your enrollment information package. However, if you are not yet receiving Social Security of Railroad Retirement benefits, when you turn 65, you will need to contact your local Social Security Office. You will need to file your application during your seven-month enrollment period. That period starts three months before you turn 65 and ends three months after.